Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It sounded good on TV...

This may not really qualify as a blog--but then, look at my productivity here lately. Begging blogs can't be too choosy.

Here's my short, thoughtful query for this Veterans Day:

How come it sounds so much better on TV when someone says, "I heard you were dead" than in real life? I thought of this last night watching NCIS: LA. The idea, of course, was that our hero and his nemesis were misinformed about the other's fate. It added an element of surprise, of drama, to the story. Made everything that happened afterward seem terribly important.

Yet on the other hand, there's real life. Remember real life? That's like on another channel.

In real life, last year my family rushed to the hospital where I'd been admitted via the emergency room because they'd HEARD I WAS DEAD... or at least close to it.

A whole different vibe, no?

Please tell me what you think.

And in case you missed it, the news of my death was greatly exaggerated. Well, premature, anyway.

So celebrate the reality that I'm still among the living by visiting my friends at Not Dead Yet (http://www.notdeadyet.org/docs/gear.html), and buy the T-shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment